Monday, October 22, 2012

Entry 1

Materials (10/16/12):
A Microaquarium - glass prism with a cap for an open end and a base opposite to it for observation. Dimensions and brand to be determined.
Water - Drawn from a specific source (the UT hospital pond for me). Must include water drawn from the sediment layer, layer above sediment layer, and surface layer.
Amblestegium and
Utricularia Gibba - Plants containing life forms to interact with the water they are placed in.
Microscope - For conducting observation. Model to be determined.

Setup:

1. I was given a small fiberglass prism of as of yet indeterminate dimensions, open on one end. Coming with it were a cap for the open end and a base for the end opposite the open end.

2. I was told to fill prism with water from a specific source, one of twelve. I chose the seventh source, water drawn from the pond at the University of Tennesee hospital upon Cherokee Trail. I was required to draw the source from three separate layers of the water provided: some from the dirt at the bottom, some from the water immediately above that, and some from the surface layer. The measurements were unspecified. I attempted to fill the prism (henceforth to be referred to as the "aquarium") with a third from each layer.

3. I was then told to fill the aquarium with two separate plants, Amblestegium and Utricularia Gibba. I kept them spread as far as I could in order to be able to view the full breadth of their contents and perhaps see life from one interact with the other.

4. Finally, I was to observe the aquarium under a microscope.

Findings:
I found several organisms, mostly among the plants, the Gibba in particular having many signs of life. I saw spherical organisms moving quickly among its leaves and out of sight, too fast for my microscope to follow. I saw undulating tuba-shaped structures coming off the leaves of the plant itself, and most promininently, I saw a microscopic translucent insect, apparently feeding on unknown black particles that appeared to be berries. I dubbed it "Scruffy".

No comments:

Post a Comment